Hwy 15 roundabout in Hutchinson opens to traffic on Aug. 10
Willmar, Minn. -- The newly-constructed roundabout on Hwy 15 south of Hutchinson opens to traffic on Aug. 10, announced the McLeod County Hwy Department and the Minnesota Department of Transportation, about a week ahead of schedule and just in time for the McLeod County Fair.
Crews will continue to work on the project, resurfacing Hwy 15 from the airport entrance to Hwy 212. This work will be done under traffic. The project is scheduled to be completed by early September.
Roundabouts are often used in new or remodeled intersections to lower the incidence of crashes; they show a 39 percent decrease in all crashes and an 89 percent decrease in fatal crashes. And, roundabouts can handle high levels of traffic with less delay than most stop signs or signals. The tight curves slow traffic so entering and exiting are easier and more efficient.
Tips for driving a roundabout:
- Slow down as you approach the roundabout.
- For multi-lane roundabouts, as with any intersection, get into the appropriate lane as you approach the roundabout.
- Yield to pedestrains and bicyclists crossing the roadfway.
- Watch for signs or pavement markings that require or prohibit certain movements.
- When entering a roundabout, yield to vehicles already in the roundabout.
- Do not cross into the roundabout until all traffic from the left has cleared. After entering the roundabout, drive in a counter-clockwise direction until you reach your exit.
- Do not stop, pass or change lanes within a roundabout.
- If an emergency vehicle approaches, exit the roundabout immediately and then pull over.
For more information on roundabouts, visit www.dot.state.mn.us/roundabouts
For updated statewide traffic, construction, weather and travel information, visit www.511mn.org.