Hwy 7 lane closures in Cosmos to take place Sept. 4-5
Willmar, Minn. – Motorists on Highway 7 in Cosmos will encounter lane closures and delays on Wednesday, Sept. 4 and Thursday, Sept. 5 as crews replace pipes beneath the road surface.
Traffic will be reduced to one lane and controlled by flaggers as crews from Reiner Contracting excavate one half of the road surface. Operations will then switch to the other side. This portion of the project is expected to be short-term and last only two days, weather permitting.
The reconstruction project in Cosmos began on April 22 and includes grading, paving, sidewalk construction, water main replacement, sewer construction, landscaping and installation of pedestrian accessible ramps and signals. When complete the project will provide a safer and more reliable highway.
The total cost of the project is $4.48 Million and includes a $1.96 Million Better Roads grant awarded as part of the Transportation, Community, and System Preservation Program.
During construction and road maintenance work, MnDOT urges drivers to:
- Check www.511mn.org or call 511 for up-to-date information about traffic and road conditions.
- Watch for construction crews and equipment in the work zone.
- Follow posted speed limits; fines double in work zones.
- Plan ahead and expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Stay alert; expect the unexpected.