Hwy 4 detour in Cosmos begins
WILLMAR, Minn. – The Highway 4 reconstruction project in Cosmos began Monday, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The detour follows Highway 4 north to Highway 7, then east to Meeker County Road 1, north to County Road 28, and west to Highway 4.
Traffic on Highway 7 will not be affected by the detour.
The reconstruction includes grading, paving, sidewalk construction, watermain replacement, sewer construction, landscaping and installation of pedestrian accessible ramps and signals. It is split into several stages and is expected to be complete in October.
Stage one of the project consists of construction on Highway 4 from Highway 7 to Northern Cross Avenue and construction of East Gemini Avenue. Stage two construction is from the south fork of the Crow River to Highway 7.
The total cost of the project is $4.48 Million and includes a $1.96 Million Better Roads grant awarded as part of the Transportation, Community, and System Preservation Program.
Reiner Contracting is the contractor and the project will provide a safer and more reliable highway.
During construction and road maintenance work, MnDOT urges drivers to:
- Check www.511mn.org or call 511 for up-to-date information about traffic and road conditions.
- Watch for construction crews and equipment in the work zone.
- Follow posted speed limits; fines double in work zones.
- Plan ahead and expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Stay alert; expect the unexpected.