- TJ Melcher
MnDOT District 8
2505 Transportation Road
Willmar, MN 56201
All highways in West Central and Southwest Minnesota now open
WILLMAR, Minn. — (8:15 a.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol have opened all highways in West Central Minnesota.
Highways now open include:
- Highway 7 from Montevideo to Highway 71
- Highway 19 from Redwood Falls to Gaylord
- Highway 23 from Willmar to Granite Falls
- Highway 67 from Highway 75 near Canby to Granite Falls
- Highway 71 from Olivia to Sanborn
- Highway 212 from Granite Falls to Olivia
- Highway 19 from Marshall to Redwood Falls
Current driving conditions can be hazardous due to ice and blowing snow, which can create periods of zero visibility without warning, and motorists should still use extreme caution when traveling.
MnDOT reminds motorists to be patient while snowplow operators work to improve driving conditions and prepare for additional snowfall. The majority of snowplow crashes take place during “clean up” when motorists resume their normal speeds.
After a storm motorists should:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud. Snowplow operators will pull over when it is safe to do so to allow traffic build-up to pass.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
- Check 511mn
For updated information on road conditions, visit www.511mn.org or call 511.