- TJ Melcher
Minnesota Department of
2505 Transportation Road
Willmar, MN 56201
|News Release Search|
|Search Statewide News|
Heavy blowing snow creates hazardous driving coniditions
WILLMAR, Minn.— (8 A.M.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation advises motorists to use extreme caution in central Minnesota as the storm system moves through the region. Heavy blowing snow can cause reduced visibility and road conditions can change quickly.
Officials do not anticipate any interstate or highway closures at this time; however, motorists may encounter brief lane and road closures where crashes occur.
MnDOT snow plow operators are doing their part to make highways safe. Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud. Snowplow operators will pull over when it is safe to do so to allow traffic build-up to pass.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone.
For updated information on road conditions, call 511 or click on www.511mn.org.