- Diane Beck
Minnesota Department of
2505 Transportation Road
Willmar, MN 56201
|News Release Search|
|Search Statewide News|
Mn/DOT installs temporary traffic signals at the junction of Highway 23 and Highway 59 in Marshall to alleviate traffic congestion
WILLMAR, Minn. - Mn/DOT continues to modify traffic control on Highway 23 in Marshall to reduce traffic congestion during peak traffic times during the resurfacing project.
New temporary traffic signals have been installed at the intersection of Highway 23 and Highway 59. The temporary signal system uses detectors to allow traffic through at timed intervals. The signal work also includes adding left turn lanes for Highway 59 northbound and southbound traffic.
Crews have also re-opened Saratoga Street as a four-way stop.
The 12-mile resurfacing project extends from Russell to one-half mile north of Highway 19 in Marshall. The project will be constructed in two phases and consists of resurfacing, constructing a pedestrian underpass and storm sewer, installing lighting and sidewalk. The project will reduce maintenance costs and improve pavement strength.
The project is expected to be completed on October 15, weather permitting.
Project information and a detour map is available at: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d8/projects/hwy23marshall/ or at http://www.dot.state.mn.us/roadwork/current.html.
During construction and road maintenance work, Mn/DOT urges drivers to:
- Check www.511mn.org for up-to-date information about traffic and road conditions.
- Stay alert, expect the unexpected.
- Be especially alert at night when driving through work zones.
- Never enter a road that has been blocked with barriers or cones.
- Minimize distractions.
- Don’t use cell phones while driving.
- Remember text messaging while driving is illegal.
- Don’t eat or drink while driving.
- Avoid tailgating. Keep plenty of space between you and the vehicle ahead.
- Follow posted speed limits; fines double in work zones.
- Be patient.
- Plan ahead and expect delays, especially during peak travel times.