New ramp closures for eastbound Hwy 60 in Watonwan County begin Oct. 31
MANKATO, Minn. — Eastbound Hwy 60 motorists near St. James can expect a change in ramp closures beginning October 31, weather permitting. The traffic changes impacting how motorists access St. James from Highway 60 are expected to last about two weeks and include:
- Closing the Hwy 60 off and on ramps at the Hwy 4/Watonwan County Road 27 interchange
- Opening the Hwy 60 off ramp to Hwy 4/Watonwan County Road 57 interchange
- Opening the Hwy 60 on ramp at County Road 12 interchange
- All through traffic continues to be carried one-way each way in the eastbound lanes
Motorists should follow the posted route markers to and from St. James.
When the concrete paving is complete at the Hwy 4/County Road 27 interchange the traffic restrictions will revert back to ramp closures at Hwy 4/CR 57 and County Road 12 and with the County Road 27 ramps open.
The Hwy 60 project is about two weeks behind due to rains with the eastbound lanes re-opening in late November. In 2019 work will resume on the westbound lanes.
Maps and more information can be found on the project website www.mndot.gov/d7/projects/hwy60.
The 13 miles of Hwy 60 construction is a long-term fix and includes:
- Resurfacing the existing pavement
- Resurfacing eastbound (EB) and westbound (WB) ramps
- Constructing a crossover at the west and east end of the project area to accommodate two-lane, two-way traffic
- Removing and replacing road signs
- Constructing a snow fence to mitigate snow drifts on Hwy 60 at the Watonwan River Bridge
- Removing or replacing guardrails
- Resurfacing and upgrades to the Hwy 4/County Rd 27 bridge and County Rd 12 bridge over Hwy 60
PCiRoads of St. Michael, MN, was awarded the project with a bid of $27,500,000.