Change in bridge closures on Hwy 60 project
June 25 detour for County Road 12 bridge replaces work planned for Hwy 4 bridge
MANKATO, Minn. — Plans have changed on the construction underway on Hwy 60 in Watonwan County. The County Road 12 bridge at St. James will be closed for resurfacing starting June 25 instead of the previously announced (on June 19) closure of the Hwy 4 bridge. This will effectively be the first bridge closure as part of the project.
County Road 12 bridge traffic is encouraged to use the Hwy 4/County Road 27 exits to access St. James. More information can be found on the project website.
The change in plans was due to issues with materials and contractor staging concerns.
On June 18, eastbound and westbound Hwy 60 traffic was reduced to a single lane. No detour is anticipated for through traffic on Hwy 60, but there will be periodic bridge closures for Hwy 4/County Road 27 and County Road 12.
Construction on Hwy 60 in Watonwan County is part of a two-year project, starting in June of 2018 through fall of 2019. Thirteen miles of Hwy 60 construction includes:
- Resurfacing the existing pavement
- Resurfacing eastbound (EB) and westbound (WB) ramps
- Constructing a crossover at the west and east end of the project area to accommodate two-lane, two-way traffic
- Removing and replacing road signs
- Constructing a snow fence to mitigate snow drifts on Hwy 60 at the Watonwan River Bridge
- Removing or replacing guardrails
- Resurfacing and upgrades to the Hwy 4/County Rd 27 bridge and County Rd 12 bridge over Hwy 60
PCiRoads of St. Michael, MN, was awarded the project with a bid of $27.5 million.
For more information, visit the project website at mndot.gov/d7/projects/hwy60.