Motorists reminded to slow down and drive for the road conditions
Mankato, Minn. – (4:35 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation reminds motorists to use caution and drive according to road conditions as we head into winter weather. MnDOT crews are currently reporting slippery conditions in areas throughout Southwest/South Central Minnesota due to slush on the roads.
Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions – Go to www.511mn.org or call 511.
- Be patient – Remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back - At least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud; snowplow operators will pull over when it is safe to do so to allow traffic build-up to pass.
- Stay alert – Snowplows turn or exit frequently and often with little warning; they may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down – Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov.
For updated information on road conditions, call 511 or click on www.511mn.org.