- Rebecca Arndt
Minnesota Department of
District 7, Mankato/Windom
2151 Bassett Drive
Mankato, MN 56001
|News Release Search|
|Search Statewide News|
Mn/DOT reminds public to share the road
Mankato area celebrates bike/walk week May 16-20
MANKATO, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation reminds all travelers to share the road and follow traffic safety laws to coincide with Mankato area bike/walk week events.
Officials expect a continued surge of bicyclists and pedestrians in 2011 and urge caution for those who may be new to bicycle or pedestrian commuting.
The law is clear—bicyclists and motorists share responsibility. There are eight “rules of the road” to improve bicycle safety:
- Bicyclists may ride on all Minnesota roads, except where restricted — such as interstates.
- Bicyclists should ride on the road and must ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Motorists must maintain a three-foot clearance at all times when passing a bicyclist.
- Bicyclists must obey all traffic control signs and signals, just as motorists.
- Motorists and bicyclists must yield the right of way to each other.
- Bicyclists must signal their turns and should ride in a predictable manner.
- Bicyclists must use a headlight and rear reflectors when it’s dark.
- Bicyclists should always wear helmets and bright reflective gear.
For a list of bike/walk week events in Greater Minnesota and the Twin Cities Metro area, go to www.bikewalkweek.org.
For information about the “Share the Road” bicycle safety education program, bicycle crash statistics and resource materials, visit www.sharetheroadmn.org/index.html. Safety videos for adults and kids are available at www.dot.state.mn.us/bike/safety.html.