- Rebecca Arndt
Minnesota Department of
District 7, Mankato/Windom
501 S. Victory Dr.
P.O. Box 4039
Mankato, MN 56001
|News Release Search|
|Search Statewide News|
New multi-transportation center open house set for Nov. 9
Public encouraged to visit and learn about transportation safety
MANKATO, Minn. – The new multi-transportation facility that houses the Minnesota Department of Transportation, the Minnesota State Patrol and Driver and Vehicle Services is hosting an open house from 3 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 9 at their new location on Bassett Drive east of Highway 22 in Mankato.
Visitors can tour any or all three state offices, that share the goal of transportation and safety. The offices will use this opportunity to educate the public on their services and promote safety during Winter Hazard Awareness Week, which runs from Nov. 8 – 12.
Highlights of the open house include:
- Minnesota State Patrol vehicle and uniform display – with helicopter (weather permitting)
- Minnesota Teen crash/driving 15-minute video (show times at 3:30 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 5:00 p.m. and 5:45 p.m.)
- Drivers license testing area
- Snowplow and heavy equipment display
- Repair shop for heavy equipment
- Laboratory for road material testing
- Survey technology
- Highway designs
- Transportation, State Patrol and Driver testing experts available
Mn/DOT constructed the $24 million building with lease space for Minnesota State Patrol and DVS for ease and coordination for the public. The new facility is 163,000 square feet on 32-acre site adjacent to major highways. It is designed and built to last 80 years.
Site work was done in 2008 and the facility was constructed in 2009-2010. Mn/DOT received the funding through the 2008 transportation bill. Initial efforts to remodel the existing building on Victory Drive date back to 1986. A partnership with the city of Mankato was formed in 2000 to acquire the Mn/DOT facility on Victory Drive. The city will be taking over that facility on Nov. 1.