Mankato,
Minn. -Motorists will be able to use a fully functional
interchange at U.S. Highway 169 and State Highway 19 beginning
Friday, August 6.
While
Highway 169 traffic has been maintained through the construction,
Highway 19 motorists going to New Prague and Henderson have
endured a detour since May, 2002. The project experienced
a significant delay when poor soils caused an embankment
to slide.
The
new interchange will help provide uninterrupted travel for
people and businesses moving between regional trade centers
on Highway 169, which is a high priority interregional corridor.
The interchange eliminates conflicts for Highway 169 motorists
and provides ease of access for Highway 19 travelers.
"I
believe this is a tremendous safety feature for southwestern
Minnesota travelers, "said Jim Swanson, Transportation
District Engineer. "The interchange will aid in quick
and safe travel for everyone heading to and from the Twin
Cities on Highway 169."
A new
interchange at Highway 169 and 19 has been the subject of
public interest for many years because of the concerns about
accidents and danger at the at-grade intersection. In a
six and a half-year period, January 1995 through June 2001,
the intersection had been the site of 35 crashes. Of these
crashes, 28 involved multiple vehicles and 19 resulted in
personal injury.
Swanson
has had recent discussions with the trucking industry and
they are elated that the intersection is now an interchange.
They told him that semi's on Highway 19 did not feel safe
crossing Highway 169 with the at-grade intersection.
The
2000 Legislature provided $4.2 million for the $11.2 million
interchange. They also provided $500,000 for a Highway 169
Corridor Plan in which other Highway 169 interchanges were
identified and three in the southwest metro area have subsequently
been funded with the Pawlenty-Molnau Transportation Finance
Package.