About this project
The High Forest I-90 rest area that serves eastbound motorists west of Stewartville will close on May 9 as part of the repaving and bridge pier project.
Rochester Sand and Gravel, the MnDOT contractor, will be repaving the parking lot, doing pipe work, replacing and improving walkways. Work on the rest area is expected to be complete by mid-July.
Summary of work
Construction began April 4 and is scheduled to be complete late August 2022 with the following work:
- Resurfacing approximately 8.6 miles of I-90 eastbound from 2.5 miles east of Mower Co. Rd. 1 to .9 miles east of Hwy 63 in Olmsted County.
- Resurfacing interchange ramps at Co. Hwy 6 and Hwy 63.
- Improving and repairing guardrail and drainage throughout project.
- Resurfacing car parking lot of High Forest Rest Area and improving entrance/exit ramps and facility accessibility.
- Improving four bridges:
- I-90 eastbound bridge over Root River: Replacing both approach panels, constructing four new end posts, replacing guardrail, resurfacing bridge deck and applying new surface finish coating to pier caps, abutment wing walls and abutment stem faces.
- I-90 westbound bridge over Root River: Replacing part of both approach panels, constructing four new bridge end posts and replacing guardrail.
- Co. Hwy 6 bridge over I-90: Removing and replacing westbound pier struts, adding median and eastbound pier struts and replacing guardrail.
- Co. Hwy 15 bridge over I-90: Removing and replacing westbound pier struts, adding median and eastbound pier struts and replacing guardrail.