The Hwy 63 northbound bridge over I-90 and the interstate ramps all reopened Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020 as crews wrap up the first year of a two-year project north of Stewartville.
The northbound lanes reopened to traffic and will remain open through winter. Crews also removed the temporary traffic signal at Schumann Drive at the north end of Stewartville.
Also open to motorists are:
- I-90 westbound exit ramp to northbound Hwy 63. Motorists will be using the new acceleration lane into northbound Hwy 63.
- Motorists who want to use southbound Hwy 63 after exiting westbound I-90 will need to detour north on Hwy 63 to Olmsted County Road 16 interchange, cross over and return to Hwy 63 southbound.
- I-90 eastbound exit ramp to northbound Hwy 63. Motorists will use the newly constructed bridge and merge into traffic using the new acceleration lane on the bridge to merge into traffic
Motorists should also be aware of changes that remain in effect at Olmsted County Road 8 and Hwy 30:
- Stop sign changes at Hwy 30 and Olmsted 8. Motorists on Hwy 30 need to stop at a stop sign before turning north or south onto Olmsted 8. Motorists on Olmsted 8 do not have a stop sign.
- Hwy 63 motorists who want to access Hwy 30 west of Hwy 63 will exit at Olmsted County Road 16, (the interchange that serves Rochester International Airport), travel west to Olmsted 8 south to Hwy 30 west.
During the two-year construction project both Hwy 63 bridges will be replaced, Hwy 30 west rerouted, some I-90 exit ramps will be added or realigned and the access to 90th Street SE is closed and rerouted.
Construction will begin again in spring 2021 and is scheduled to be complete in August of 2021.
About this project
Summary of work
MnDOT began construction at the I-90 and Hwy 63 interchange just north of Stewartville spring of 2020. The 2-year project will address several existing conditions including: intersection safety issues, congestion issues, functionally obsolete bridges, inadequate deceleration, acceleration and merge lanes, and sight issues.
- Close Hwy 30 access to Hwy 63 at current location, the new Hwy 30 will follow Olmsted County Rd 8 north to Olmsted County Rd 16 east then to Hwy 63 south
- Construct extension of 90th St. SE to the east then north to connect to 85th St. SE
- Construct new westbound I-90 entrance ramp further to the north
- Construct new loop ramp for westbound I-90 to southbound Hwy 63
- Construct new ramp for westbound I-90 to northbound Hwy 63
- Replace Hwy 63 bridges, widened for 3 lanes and shoulders, extended acceleration and merge lane for northbound Hwy 63
- Lengthen deceleration lane for eastbound I-90 exit to northbound Hwy 63
- Construct new eastbound I-90 entrance ramp further to the south
- Close median south of interchange