Hwy 13 closed from New Richland to I-90 because of downed power lines
ALBERT LEA, Minn. — (11 a.m.) Hwy 13 is closed from New Richland to Interstate 90 at this hour because of numerous power lines that are down across the road, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Freezing rain has downed the lines, which have fallen across the highway along a 15-mile stretch from New Richland to I-90 at Albert Lea. The road will remain closed until the lines can be cleared.
Motorists should review MnDOT’s road conditions map for current conditions at www.511mn.org. Conditions are changing and will be adjusted. MnDOT has 101 snowplows on the state highways in southeast Minnesota.
MnDOT snowplow operators will do their part to make highways safe and motorists should remember to:
- Stay alert for snowplows, which turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They also may travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow. Don’t drive into a snow cloud
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions
- Turn on your headlights and wear your seat belt
- Turn off the cruise control
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip
- Don’t drive distracted
- Check MnDOT’s road conditions map at www.511mn.org
To learn more about road conditions, highway construction and other southeast Minnesota MnDOT news, join the MnDOT Southeast Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/MnDOTsoutheast.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html