Lane closures, detours planned in Rochester at Hwy 52-Hwy 63
ROCHESTER, Minn. —Motorists on Highway 52 and 63 in south Rochester will encounter a series of lane changes, closures and detours beginning Tuesday, May 3 through the weekend, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
- Beginning Tuesday evening, May 3, motorists on Highway 52 in both directions will encounter lane closures near the interchange with Highway 63 as the area is prepared to cross traffic over into opposing lanes. By Wednesday, May 4 southbound Highway 52 traffic will be switched over to lanes in the Highway 52 northbound lanes. Traffic will be in single lane, head-to-head in the northbound lanes, so crews can begin the demolition process of the southbound bridge deck over Highway 52. This will remain in place until after the southbound bridge is ready for traffic this summer.
- On Thursday, May 5, motorists will experience short-term detours while workers are cutting portions of the southbound Highway 52 bridge deck over Highway 63. Detours will begin in the morning and last for several hours through early afternoon.
- Southbound Highway 52 to Northbound Highway 63 will exit and use southbound Highway 63 to the 40th Street South interchange to then proceed north on Highway 63 (Broadway Ave.)
- Northbound Highway 52 to Southbound Highway 63 will exit, proceed north to the 28th Street traffic signal and U-turn south. Trucks will proceed north to Third Avenue SE, then west on 20th Street S to Broadway south.
- Northbound Highway 63 to northbound Highway 52 will exit to southbound Highway 52, exit at Olmsted County Road 1 (11th Avenue SE) and return to Highway 52 northbound at the interchange. This work is expected to begin about 10 a.m., Thursday.
- On Friday, May 6 after 7 p.m., demolition of the Highway 52 southbound bridge deck will begin. Traffic will not be allowed under the bridge, so Highway 63 north traffic will be detoured to southbound Highway 52 to the exit for Olmsted County Road 1 (11th Avenue SE). Traffic can then go north on Highway 52. Motorists wanting to proceed north on Highway 63 (Braodway) will exit from Highway 52 and travel north into Rochester.
- On Saturday, May 7 about 2 p.m., southbound Highway 63 traffic will be switched over into single lane, head-to-head traffic with the northbound Highway 63 traffic to pass under the bridge and then return to Highway 63 southbound lanes after passing the bridge deck under demolition. Motorists who want to travel onto Highway 52 southbound will use the 40th Street South interchange to cross over and proceed north on Highway 63 and then south onto Highway 52.
The project is a $4.2 million project to replace the Highway 52 bridge decks over Highway 63 and connect Highway 52 north’s third lane to the bridge. The project, which includes painting the bridge after construction, is expected to be completed Nov. 3. To learn more about this project, go to MnDOT’s project page: www.dot.state.mn.us/d6/projects/hwy52-63-interchange/.
MnDOT urges motorists to always be attentive, drive with caution, slow down in work zones and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.
# # #
To learn more about funding Minnesota’s transportation system, visit Get Connected at www.dot.state.mn.us/getconnected