- Kristine Hernandez
TZD Coordinator/ Public Affairs Team Leader
MnDOT District 6
2900 48th Street
Rochester, MN 55901
Couple in Hwy 63 crash recognized with “Saved by the Helmet” award
Minnesota State Patrol will recognize a Woodbury couple for wearing their helmets in a crash that occurred June 24, 2011, on Highway 63 in Fillmore County. The couple hit a deer crossing the road, resulting in serious injuries for the passenger. The couple credits wearing helmets as saving their lives.
Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 2:15 p.m.
Minnesota State Patrol Headquarters – Rochester District 2100
2900 48th St. NW, Rochester, Minn. 55901
Last month, one-third of the state’s deaths (7) were motorcyclists, pushing the 2012 preliminary total to 15 rider deaths this year, compared to eight deaths at this time in 2011. Of these deaths, eight riders did not wear a helmet, three riders wore a helmet and four were unknown.
Officials stress these safety tips for motorcyclists and motorists:
- Look Twice – motorists should check their blind spots, as motorcycles are easily hidden in traffic, and always take a second look over your shoulder – don’t rely solely on your mirrors.
- Share the road – motorists and motorcyclists should keep a safe distance from all vehicles, especially other motorcyclists.
- Drive at safe speeds and stay focused on driving – speeding and inattention are the two most-cited contributing factors in motorcycle crashes.
- Wear the gear – motorcyclists should wear brightly colored protective gear and a helmet for visibility and protection.
- Don’t drink and ride – one-third of all motorcycle fatalities involve impaired riders.
- Lt. Jeff Westrum, Minnesota State Patrol
- “Saved by the Helmet” recipients Richard and Elizabeth Jones
The southeastern Minnesota Toward Zero Deaths initiative brings area law enforcement, public health educators, engineers and emergency medical and trauma services together in an effort to reduce the number of traffic fatalities and severe injuries to zero in southeastern Minnesota. The 11-county area includes: Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Mower, Olmsted, Rice, Steele, Winona and Wabasha counties.