- Kristin Kammueller
Community Relations Coordinator
- Kristine Hernandez
TZD Coordinator/ Public Affairs Team Leader
Minnesota Department of
Rochester District 6
2900 48th Street
Rochester, MN 55901
|News Release Search|
|Search Statewide News|
MnDOT kicks-off road construction program across Minnesota
ROCHESTER, Minn.—The Minnesota Department of Transportation today announced a nearly $900 million transportation construction program for 2011 that will increase safety, improve mobility, expand capacity and preserve infrastructure statewide.
“Minnesota’s transportation system is a vital part of the state’s infrastructure and is essential for a strong and vibrant state economy,” said Governor Mark Dayton. “These projects will support thousands of jobs in Minnesota, from the construction workers directly working on the projects to others who work in the support industries for construction.”
This year’s 258 state highway construction projects include the Highway 169/Interstate 494 interchange in the Twin Cities and the second year of the bridge and pavement replacement on a section of I-35 in Duluth. Other projects improve safety at railroad crossings, repair seawalls and docks, make improvements on runways and terminals at regional airports, and remodel a transit facility.
“MnDOT is focused on improving our roads and bridges and maximizing the capacity of our multimodal transportation system to give the traveling public more options and improve Minnesotans’ quality of life,” said Tom Sorel, MnDOT Commissioner.
Projects in Greater Minnesota include:
- Resurfacing Highway 14 in Rochester, including traffic signal revisions and intersection improvements.
- Constructing a four-lane expansion, including bridges, on Highway 14 by Waseca.
- Making safety improvements along Interstate 35 in Freeborn, Steele and Rice Counties including traffic cameras and an overhead changeable message sign.
- Constructing a new interchange on Highway 52 near Pine Island.
- Replacing the bridge on Highway 61 over Gilbert Creek.
- Resurfacing Interstate 90 eastbound lanes from Highway 43 to Highway 76.
- Resurfacing Highway 248 from Altura to Highway 61.
Projects in the Twin Cities metro area include:
- Converting Highway 169/I-494 to a freeway to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion in Bloomington, Eden Prairie and Edina.
- Rebuilding the Highway 52 Lafayette Bridge in St. Paul.
- Continuing to resurface I-94 between St. Paul and Minneapolis.
- Constructing a new interchange at Highway 101 and Highway 13 in Savage.
- Reconstructing the Highway 36 and Rice Street interchange and replacing the Rice Street bridge in Roseville/Little Canada.
For a complete list of projects, including construction dates and traffic impacts, visit
“We do a great deal of engineering work to make our roads safer, but it takes the cooperation of our driving public to keep our roads safe,” Sorel said. “With all of the work zones operating across the state, I encourage motorists to drive with caution and plan ahead. We want all of you to arrive safely at your destinations. Our safety vision is zero deaths on the roadways.”
During construction and road maintenance work, MnDOT urges drivers to:
- Check 511 for up-to-date information about traffic and road conditions.
- Stay alert, expect the unexpected.
- Be especially alert at night when driving through work zones.
- Never enter a road that has been blocked with barriers or cones.
- Minimize distractions.
- Don’t use cell phones.
- Remember text messaging while driving is illegal.
- Don’t eat or drink while driving.
- Avoid tailgating. Keep plenty of space between you and the vehicle ahead.
- Follow posted speed limits; fines double in work zones.
- Stay in one lane while driving through a work zone; don’t pass or change lanes unnecessarily.
- Be patient.
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.