The Minnesota Department of Transportation will construct a roundabout at the intersection of Hwy 59 and Willow Street in Detroit Lakes during the 2014 construction season.
- Mid-May through late July
- Hwy 59 will remain open
- Long Lake Rd will close near Hwy 59 in May and June
- Willow St. will close near Hwy 59 in June and July
- $1.7 million
A Detroit Lakes Transportation Planning Study was conducted from November 2009 to February 2011 by HR Green, a consulting firm. It examined current and projected transportation needs west of Hwy 59 in Detroit Lakes. One of the recommendations included in the study is a roundabout at the intersection of Hwy 59 and Willow Street.
Driving through a roundabout
- Slow down as you approach the roundabout.
- Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists crossing the roadway.
- Watch for signs or pavement markings that require or prohibit certain movements.
- When entering a roundabout, yield to vehicles already in the roundabout. Do not cross into the roundabout until all traffic from the left has cleared.
- After entering the roundabout, drive in a counter-clockwise direction until you reach your exit.
- Do not stop, pass or change lanes within a roundabout.
- If an emergency vehicle approaches, exit the roundabout immediately and then pull over.