Work on several road and safety improvements in Moorhead began Monday, May 20. Work is expected to be complete by the end of September, weather permitting.
June 14 Update:
Traffic signal and pedestrian improvement work on Main Avenue in downtown Moorhead will transition from Sixth Street to Fifth Street on Monday, June 17, weather permitting.
Traffic at the Main Avenue/Fifth Street intersection will experience temporary four-way stop signs. The work requires lane and sidewalk closures near the intersection.
Once work begins, the Fifth Street railroad crossing just north of Main Avenue will close until the new signal is operational. The closure is necessary because crews must disable the train pre-emption safety system.
The intersection of Sixth Street and Main Avenue will fully reopen to both vehicles and pedestrians.
In addition, crews will also work in the following areas:
- Northbound Eighth Street between 10th Avenue and 24th Avenue
- Southbound Eighth Street between Main Avenue and 10th Avenue
- Southbound Eighth Street between 30th Avenue and 40th Avenue
- Center Avenue and 14th Street
Traffic will reduce to one lane, and pedestrians will encounter intermittent sidewalk detours in these areas.
Improvements planned this summer
- Resurface Main Avenue between the Veterans Memorial Bridge and Eighth Street
- Replace six traffic signals along Center Avenue and Main Avenue (including features to assist pedestrians who are blind or visually impaired)
- Install a pedestrian-activated crosswalk signal on Eighth Street at 10th Avenue near Concordia College
- Improve pedestrian accessibility at several intersections along Hwy 10 and Hwy 75
- Install underground fiber optic cable along various roads
- Install electronic changeable message signs on Interstate 94 near the Red River in Fargo and Highway 10 near Dilworth
- Lane closures
- No detours or closures of Hwy 10 or Hwy 75 anticipated
- Fourth Street and Fifth Street may require short-term closures at the railroad tracks north of Main Avenue.
MnDOT strongly encourages truck traffic going through Moorhead on Hwy 10 to use I-94 between West Fargo and Hwy 336.
- $4.8 million