Two related projects will be completed in Benson in 2017.
Current status and impacts
- Intersection of Atlantic Ave and 13th St. is opening again
- Intersection of Atlantic Ave and 14th St closes Monday, 5/24
- Sidewalk work underway in several locations
- Pedestrians: Expect sidewalk detours
- Motorists: Detour and intermittent lane and shoulder closures
May 24 update
Construction of sidewalks on the south side of Minnesota Ave. between 14th St. and 18th St. is scheduled to be completed by the end of today (5/24). Next week, construction activities will shift to the north side of Minnesota Ave. from 18th St. to 14th St. and are expected to be complete by Friday, June 2nd.
Work is also proceeding on Hwy 29/Church St from Clark Ave. to Atlantic Ave. starting on the east side of the street this week, followed by work on the west side of the street next week.
Construction at the intersection of 13th St. and Atlantic Ave. is now expected to be substantially complete Thursday, May 25th. Although the intersection will be open, final signal installation will be ongoing and the intersection will be controlled with four-way stop signs.
Construction at the intersection of 14th and Atlantic will begin Tuesday, May 30th. Traffic in all directions through the 14th/Atlantic intersection will be detoured. Construction activities include storm drainage work, replacement of vehicle detection loops, pedestrian push buttons and pedestrian ramps on all four corners.
Access to businesses will be maintained at all times. However, signs may be used to reroute sidewalk traffic.
Sidewalk/Signal/Storm sewer/Intersection work
- Sidewalk improvements in the following locations:
- Hwy 29 - from Oregon Ave south to Clark Ave.
- Hwy 9 - from west of the Chippewa River to northeast to Sunwall Ave.
- Hwy 12 - from west of 19th St. east to near County Road 25
- Storm sewer upgrades
- Intersection of Atlantic Ave./13th St.
- Intersection of Atlantic Ave./14th St.
- Intersection modifications
- Minnesota Ave./Church St.
- Atlantic Ave./13th St.
- Traffic signal upgrades
Click here for a map showing areas specific areas where sidewalks will be improved. **Please note these areas may be adjusted slightly during construction.**
Resurfacing work limits extend beyond the sidewalk work limits in most directions.
- Hwy 29 - from near Oakwood Ave. to the Chippewa River
- Hwy 9 - from the Chippewa River to north of Co Rd 104/20th St.
- Hwy 12 - from near 19th St. to near Co Rd 25 on the east edge of Benson