The plan outlines how the area’s transportation system will develop over the next 25 years, and it is important that the improvements reflect the desires of the impacted communities.
To promote the development of a balanced, multi-modal transportation system that enhances mobility, economic vitality and facilitates the safe and efficient movement of people and goods within the greater Alexandria area by analyzing the existing system, collecting data and making system and budgetary recommendations.
Transportation Study Goals
A series of goals and supporting objectives generally pertain to travel safety and mobility, multi-modal transportation options, existing and future economic development, and coordination between agencies. Presented below are the six goals that were established for the study.
- Develop a safe, secure multi-modal transportation system that provides for the efficient movement of people and goods.
- Identify and support transportation improvements to ensure a high level of mobility and accessibility throughout the greater Alexandria area.
- Develop a transportation system that promotes the use of alternative modes of transportation including walking, transit and the regional bicycle network.
- Support transportation enhancements and projects that promote existing and future economic development.
- Balance transportation improvements with potential impacts to the surrounding physical and social environment.
- Promote cooperation and coordination among jurisdictions in maintaining and developing the transportation infrastructure.