The Minnesota Department of Transportation, along with Douglas County and the city of Alexandria, is rebuilding the I-94/Hwy 29 interchange and expanding Hwy 29 to four lanes south of I-94 in 2015 and 2016.
The new roundabout is now open. More information on roundabouts.
Current traffic impacts
2015 work (Completed)
- Four-lane expansion of Hwy 29 from 1/4-mile south of County Hwy 28 to I-94
- County Hwy 28 realigned to cross Hwy 29 in line with County Road 87
- Roundabout constructed at Hwy 29 and County Hwy 28/County Road 87
- Remove and replace current I-94/Hwy 29 bridges
- Rebuild I-94 ramps (Ramps will close for approximately two weeks in 2016)
- Access adjustments at 50th Avenue South
Latest design layout for the project (4 MB PDF)