The Minnesota Department of Transportation, along with Douglas County and the city of Alexandria, is rebuilding the I-94/Hwy 29 interchange and expanding Hwy 29 to four lanes south of I-94 in 2015 and 2016.
Work began in July 2015 and will continue through the fall of 2016. Weekly project updates are available for more detailed information.
The new roundabout is now open. More information on roundabouts.
Current traffic impacts
- All lanes of Hwy 29 are open
- All ramps are open
- Intermittent lane closures are possible through mid-November
- Remove and replace current I-94/Hwy 29 bridges
- Rebuild I-94 ramps (Ramps will close for approximately two weeks in 2016)
- Access adjustments at 50th Avenue South
2015 work (Completed)
- Four-lane expansion of Hwy 29 from 1/4-mile south of County Hwy 28 to I-94
- County Hwy 28 realigned to cross Hwy 29 in line with County Road 87
- Roundabout constructed at Hwy 29 and County Hwy 28/County Road 87
Latest design layout for the project (4 MB PDF)