Highway 78 bridge over I-94 to close May 30
DETROIT LAKES, Minn. — The Highway 78 bridge over Interstate 94 will close on May 30 for reconstruction, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation. Motorists will experience delays and detours during the project.
Traffic on I-94 will encounter intermittent weekday lane closures. Four lanes of traffic will remain open on weekends.
Crews plan overnight interstate closures in early June and early July. Traffic will be diverted onto the Highway 78 exit ramp and immediately back onto the entrance ramp to I-94. Additional information will be released in advance of the closures.
Highway 78 traffic between Ashby and I-94 will detour on County Road 82 to either the Evansville or Dalton exits on I-94.
Local traffic will be allowed to turn right onto I-94 entrance ramps and make right turns off of I-94 exit ramps during the project. Left turns on or off the ramps will not be allowed because of the bridge closure.
All work on the reconstruction project is expected to be complete by the end of August, weather permitting.
When the bridge work is complete, motorists will notice a smoother and safer bridge.
For real-time travel information anywhere in Minnesota, visit www.511mn.org or dial 5-1-1.
# # #
Recommended detour routes for Highway 78:
- I-94 westbound to Highway 78 northbound – Traffic will detour to Exit 82, east on Douglas County Road 41 to Evansville and west on County Road 82 to Ashby.
- I-94 eastbound to Highway 78 northbound – Traffic will detour to Exit 67, north on Otter Tail County Road 35 to Dalton and east on County Road 82 to Ashby.
- Highway 78 southbound to I-94 westbound – Traffic at Ashby will detour west on County Road 82 to Dalton and south on Otter Tail County Road 35 to I-94.
- Highway 78 southbound to I-94 eastbound – Traffic at Ashby will detour east on County Road 82 to Evansville and west on Douglas County Road 41 to I-94.
- Local traffic between Highway 78 in Ashby and Grant County Road 10 will be directed through Evansville on County Road 82, Douglas County Road 41 and Highway 79.