MnDOT District 4
1000 Hwy 10 West
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
Interstate 94, Hwy 10, Hwy 210 to re-open
DETROIT LAKES, Minn. – (4:40 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol will open three roadways in west central Minnesota at 5 p.m.
The highways opening at 5 p.m. include
- Interstate 94 between Moorhead and Alexandria
- Hwy 10 between Moorhead and Audubon
- Hwy 210 between Breckenridge and Fergus Falls
Although the roads are legally open for travel, MnDOT is still listing the roads as “Travel Not Advised” in the Alexandria, Breckenridge, Detroit Lakes, Fergus Falls, Mahnomen, and Moorhead areas of west central Minnesota. Current driving conditions remain very difficult due to low visibility, high winds and ground drifting. In addition, roads are ice-covered in many locations.
MnDOT reminds motorists to be patient while snowplow operators work to improve driving conditions.
Motorists are also reminded of Minnesota’s “Move Over Law.” If you are traveling on a roadway with two or more lanes, you must stay one full lane away when passing stopped emergency or maintenance vehicles. If motorists cannot move over, they should reduce their speeds.
During and after a storm motorists should:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud. Snowplow operators will pull over when it is safe to do so to allow traffic build-up to pass.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone. For updated information on road conditions, call 511 or click on www.511mn.org.