MnDOT District 4
1000 Hwy 10 West
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
Westbound Interstate 94 is now open from Alexandria to Fergus Falls
DETROIT LAKES, Minn. – (12:15 a.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol have opened westbound Interstate 94 from Alexandria to Fergus Falls. A crash blocked the westbound lanes Friday evening.
Driving conditions along I-94 from Moorhead to the Alexandria area remain difficult due to ice, and motorists should still use extreme caution when traveling. MnDOT crews will be out overnight and tomorrow working to improve driving conditions.
The majority of snowplow crashes take place during “clean up” when motorists resume their normal speeds.
After a storm motorists should:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud. Snowplow operators will pull over when it is safe to do so to allow traffic build-up to pass.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone.
For updated information on road conditions, call 511 or click on www.511mn.org.