MnDOT District 4
1000 Hwy 10 West
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
Winter storm may create difficult driving conditions
DETROIT LAKES, Minn.— (3 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation advises drivers to be extremely careful on the roads as a mix of winter weather is on its way. Motorists in west central Minnesota should prepare for the possibility of difficult driving conditions tonight through the weekend.
MnDOT snow plow operators are doing their part to make highways safe. Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud. Snowplow operators will pull over when it is safe to do so to allow traffic build-up to pass.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone.
For updated information on road conditions, visit www.511mn.org or call 511.
# # #