- Dana Hanson
Minnesota Department of
1000 Hwy 10 West
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
|News Release Search|
|Search Statewide News|
Difficult road conditions continue in west central Minnesota
DETROIT LAKES, Minn. — (3:15 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and Minnesota State Patrol advise motorists to use extreme caution in west central Minnesota due to hazardous road conditions left over from this past weekend’s storm events. Snow compaction and low temperatures continue to cause icy road conditions throughout the area.
In particular, motorists should be advised that Interstate 94 between Moorhead and Alexandria is still classified as having difficult driving conditions due to ice and drivers need to slow down.
Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions – Go to www.511mn.org or call 511.
- Drive slowly – Especially on bridges, overpasses and tunnels.
- Be patient – Remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back – At least five car lengths behind the plow, and a safe stopping distance from the vehicle in front of you.
- Stay alert – Snowplows turn or exit frequently and often with little warning; they may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Headlights on – Increase your visibility to other motorists.
- Buckle up – Make sure child restraints are secured correctly.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov.
For updated information on road conditions, call 511 or click on www.511mn.org.
# # #