- Dana Hanson
Minnesota Department of
1000 Hwy 10 West
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
|News Release Search|
|Search Statewide News|
Interstate 94 in west central Minnesota will open at 8:30 a.m.
DETROIT LAKES, Minn. — (8 a.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol will open Interstate 94 between Moorhead and Alexandria at 8:30 a.m. today. I-94 has been closed since Friday at 4 p.m. due to dangerous road conditions.
Current driving conditions on I-94 are still difficult and drifting snow and icy areas continue to cause hazardous driving conditions. Motorists still need to use extreme caution when traveling throughout the entire west central Minnesota region.
MnDOT reminds motorists to slow down and be patient while snowplow operators work to improve driving conditions. This is extremely important as the majority of snowplow crashes take place during “clean up” when motorists feel they can resume their normal speeds.
Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions – Go to www.511mn.org or call 511.
- Drive slowly – Especially on bridges and overpasses.
- Be patient – Remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back – At least five car lengths behind the plow, and a safe stopping distance from the vehicle in front of you.
- Stay alert – Snowplows turn or exit frequently and often with little warning; they may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Headlights on – Increase your visibility to other motorists.
- Buckle up – Make sure child restraints are secured correctly.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov.
For updated information on Minnesota road conditions, call 511 or log on to www.511mn.org.
For updated information on North Dakota road conditions, log on to www.dot.nd.gov/travel-info/.
# # #