- Dana Hanson
Minnesota Department of
1000 Hwy 10 West
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
|News Release Search|
|Search Statewide News|
Highway 10, 210, 28 in west central Minnesota will open at 5 p.m.
Interstate 94 will remain closed until further notice
DETROIT LAKES, Minn. — (4:30 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol will open the following highways at 5 p.m.:
- Highway 10 from Moorhead to Detroit Lakes
- Highway 210 from Breckenridge to Fergus Falls
- Highway 28 from Browns Valley to Westport
Interstate 94 between Moorhead and Alexandria will remain closed until further notice. MnDOT and the Minnesota State Patrol will continue to monitor road conditions on I-94 to determine when the road is safe enough to open to the traveling public.
Please note that current driving conditions on Highways 10, 210 and 28 are still difficult to poor and roads are not in "good" condition by any means. Blowing and drifting snow and icy areas continue to cause dangerous driving conditions and reduced visibility. Motorists still need to use extreme caution when traveling throughout the entire west central Minnesota area, especially after dark.
MnDOT reminds motorists to slow down and be patient while snowplow operators work to improve driving conditions. This is extremely important as the majority of snowplow crashes take place during “clean up” when motorists feel they can resume their normal speeds.
Interstate 94 and Interstate 29 in eastern North Dakota will remain closed until Sunday.
Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions – Go to www.511mn.org or call 511.
- Drive slowly – Especially on bridges and overpasses.
- Be patient – Remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back – At least five car lengths behind the plow, and a safe stopping distance from the vehicle in front of you.
- Stay alert – Snowplows turn or exit frequently and often with little warning; they may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Headlights on – Increase your visibility to other motorists.
- Buckle up – Make sure child restraints are secured correctly.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov.
For updated information on Minnesota road conditions, call 511 or log on to www.511mn.org.
For updated information on North Dakota road conditions, log on to www.dot.nd.gov/travel-info/.
# # #