BAXTER, Minn. - Construction of the new eastbound Highway 10 bridge over the Mississippi River north of Little Falls begins this week. Traffic remains restricted to a single lane in each direction on the westbound lanes over the bridge while the eastbound lanes are being constructed. When work is completed, traffic will be switched to the new eastbound lanes of the bridge. Crews will then begin demolition and construction of the westbound lanes of the bridge.
The westbound ramp from Morrison County Road 76 to westbound Highway 10 will remain closed. Motorists should watch for signed exits.
Boating traffic on the Mississippi River will be maintained.
Redstone Construction Company of Mora is the prime contractor for this $1.7 million project, which should be completed by mid-September, 2010, weather permitting.
The bridge was originally closed to traffic on Wednesday, March 17, due to damage from an ice jam in the main channel and erosion to the overflow bridge. Crews built temporary traffic crossovers on each end of the bridge and stabilized the westbound lanes to allow motorists on the bridge.
During construction and road maintenance work, MnDOT urges drivers to:
- Check www.511mn.org or call 511 for up-to-date information about traffic and road conditions.
- Stay alert; expect the unexpected when driving through work zones.
- Never enter a road that has been blocked with barriers or cones.
- Follow posted speed limits; fines double in work zones.
- Plan ahead and expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
Go to Top