Hwy 6 lane closures in Emily begin April 30
BAXTER, Minn. – Motorists who travel Hwy 6 through Emily will encounter construction crews, heavy equipment and potential delays after a project to reconstruct Highway 6 and the Hwy 6/County Road 1 intersection in Emily begins April 30.
Initially, segments of Hwy 6 through Emily will be reduced to a single lane, from sunrise to sunset, Mondays through Saturdays. Later in the project, northbound Hwy 6 will remain open on a single narrow, temporary lane while southbound Hwy 6 is closed and detoured. The signed southbound Highway 6 detour will follow Evergreen/Cemetery Road, County Road 1, White Pine Street, and Third Street.
All local businesses and residences will remain accessible throughout the project.
Hwy 6 motorists should expect the following traffic changes after April 30. All dates are tentative.
- April 30 to May 14
- Hwy 6 from north of Dahler Avenue to Second Street will be intermittently reduced to a single lane with flaggers controlling traffic.
- May 14 to September
- Northbound Hwy 6 from north of Dahler Avenue to Evergreen Road will be switched to a temporary, narrow lane on one side of the road, while the other half of the road is reconstructed.
- Southbound Hwy 6 from Evergreen Road to Third Street will be closed. Motorists should follow the short, signed detour west of Hwy 6. The detour adds .2 miles to the trip. Get map.
- Segments of Hwy 6 in Emily will be reduced to 10 foot wide lanes, along the detour and the temporary northbound lanes.
- Motorists should plan their travel and follow the signed detour.
- Businesses will remain accessible at all times
- All businesses and residences will remain accessible at all times. Local travelers and visitors should plan their own alternate route to local destinations.
When complete, the project will reconstruct approximately one mile of Hwy 6, reconstruct the Hwy 6/County Road 1 intersection, install a new underground storm sewer system and water retention pond, new curb, gutter and sidewalk, and improve segments of local roads.
For more project information, or to view and print project maps, visit the Hwy 6 Emily website at mndot.gov/d3/emily/ .
# # #