UPDATE – eastbound single lane 24/7 begins July 24 (previously July 27)
Temporary lanes on Hwy 10 in Elk River
Expect daytime delays as all traffic moves to westbound side
ST CLOUD, Minn. – Motorists who travel Hwy 10 near Lake Orono in Elk River will encounter delays as crews prepare to close the existing lanes of eastbound Hwy 10, and switch both directions of Hwy 10 to narrow, temporary lanes on the westbound side of the road, Tue, July 24 through Fri, July 28.
Motorists who travel Hwy 10 in Elk River should plan for the following traffic changes on Hwy 10 between Simonet Drive and Waco Street, near Lake Orono:
- July 24
- Eastbound Hwy 10 will be reduced to a single lane 24 hours per day.
- Westbound Hwy 10 will be reduced to a single lane from sunrise to sunset. Motorists should plan for rush hour delays on both directions of Highway 10 near Lake Orono.
- The north and south legs of the Hwy 10/Joplin Street/185th Avenue NW will close; Hwy 10 lanes will remain open at Hwy 10/Joplin Street/185th Avenue NW. A signed detour will direct motorists to the Highway 10/Waco Street intersection, about one mile west of Hwy 10/Joplin Street/185th Avenue NW.
- July 28 – fall 2017
- Eastbound Hwy 10 will remain a single lane 24 hours per day.
- Westbound Hwy 10 will remain two lanes with intermittent lane closures occurring as needed.
- Both directions of Hwy 10 will be switched to narrow, temporary lanes with a 45 mph. posted speed limit.
- Joplin Street at Hwy 10 will close periodically beginning in August. When Joplin Street is closed, a signed detour will direct motorists about one mile west to the Highway 10/Waco Street intersection.
- All lanes of Hwy 10 near Lake Orono will be switched to the westbound side of the road on Fri, July 28.
- Access to all local businesses and residences will be maintained throughout the project, although routes may temporarily change while intersecting roads are closed.
The closures are part of the 2017-2018 New Lake Orono Bridge project in Elk River. When complete in fall 2018, the project will replace the 75-year-old Hwy 10 bridge spanning Lake Orono with a new, modern bridge; resurface Hwy 10 between Joplin Street NW and Xenia Ave NW; improve the Hwy 10/Joplin Street/185th Avenue intersection; construct a new trail between Gary Street NW and Simonet Drive NW; install new drainage infrastructure and make other improvements.
For more project information, to view and print project maps, or sign up to have project email updates sent directly to your inbox, visit the Highway 10 Lake Orono Bridge website at www.mndot.gov/d3/h10orono.
For real-time travel information anywhere in Minnesota, check www.511mn.org.