New Hwy 25/Highway 55 intersection in Buffalo scheduled to open by Oct. 4
ST. CLOUD, Minn. – Motorists who travel in Buffalo will find improved traffic flow as the new Highway 25/Highway 55 intersection opens in stages beginning Friday, Sept. 30 through Tuesday, Oct. 4.
Crews will first open the southern portion of the new intersection. A few days later, two lanes of Highway 25 immediately north of Highway 55 will open. Details, including the current schedule, are listed below. All dates and times are weather dependent.
- Friday, Sept. 30 – The Highway 25/Highway 55 intersection will open as a “three-quarter intersection.” All lanes of Highway 25 south of Highway 55, including the new Highway 25/Eighth Street roundabout, will open in their final configuration. All four lanes of Highway 55 will also open.
- Oct. 4 – Highway 25 between Highway 55 and 14th Street will open as a single lane in each direction. Businesses north of Highway 55 will be easily accessible from the south using the new Highway 25/Highway 55 intersection, to Highway 25, to 14th Street.
- Oct. 4 through mid-November – All lanes of Highway 25 between 14th Street and Catlin Street will remain closed while this final segment of Highway 25 is reconstructed. Fourteenth Street itself will remain open.
The new Highway 25/Highway 55 intersection will improve traffic flow and safety in Buffalo. The intersection’s improvements include dual left turn lanes, new overhead LED lights along Highway 25 and Highway 55, a new programmable signal system and improved pedestrian accessibility.
The new intersection, roundabout and current construction are part of a multi-year, multi-project cooperative plan between the city of Buffalo and MnDOT to improve mobility, safety and infrastructure in Buffalo and Wright County. When complete in fall 2016, the combined projects will:
- Expand Highway 25 to four lanes between Highway 55 and 15th Street
- Reconstruct and reconfigure the Highway 25/Highway 55 intersection
- Upgrade signals and lighting on Highway 25 and Highway 55
- Replace the existing Highway 25/Eighth Street NW intersection with a roundabout
- Reconstruct Highway 25 through most of downtown Buffalo
- Improve underground utilities while roads are closed for construction
- Improve pedestrian accessibility along Highway 25 from downtown Buffalo to John Ause Memorial Drive
- Add turn lanes at the Highway 55/Wright County Road 14 intersection, south of Buffalo
# # #