Final segment of Hwy 25 in Buffalo closes for reconstruction Sept. 26
Hwy 55/Hwy 25 intersection scheduled to open Sept. 30
ST. CLOUD, Minn. – Motorists who travel Highway 25 in Buffalo will find a new, temporary traffic configuration after the road closes between 14th Street and Catlin Street Monday, Sept. 26. This segment of Highway 25 is the final piece of roadway to be reconstructed as part of a multi-project plan to reconstruct Highway 25 through Buffalo’s business district.
Several days after the final segment of Highway 25 is closed, Highway 25 south of 14th Street will open, and the Highway 25/Highway 55 intersection will open in its new configuration. Motorists should plan for the following; the schedule is weather dependent:
- Monday, Sept. 26 through Sept. 30 – All lanes of Highway 25 between 14th Street and Catlin Street will close until further notice. Fourteenth Street itself will remain open. All other lanes that are currently closed will remain closed through Sept. 30.
- Friday, Sept. 30 – All lanes of Highway 25 south of Highway 55 will open in their final configuration. This includes the new Highway 25/Eighth Street roundabout. Also, all four lanes of Highway 55 will open permanently.
- Oct. 4 – Highway 25 between Highway 55 and 14th Street will open as a single lane in each direction. Businesses north of Highway 55 will be accessible from the south using the Highway 25/Highway 55 intersection, to northbound Highway 25, to 14th Street.
The traffic changes and work are part of a multi-year, multi-project cooperative plan between the city of Buffalo and MnDOT to improve mobility, safety and infrastructure in Buffalo and Wright County. When complete in fall 2016, the combined projects will:
- Expand Highway 25 to four lanes between Highway 55 and 15th Street
- Reconstruct and reconfigure the Highway 25/Highway 55 intersection
- Upgrade signals and lighting on Highway 25 and Highway 55
- Replace the existing Highway 25/Eighth Street NW intersection with a roundabout
- Reconstruct Highway 25 through most of downtown Buffalo
- Improve underground utilities while roads are closed for construction
- Improve pedestrian accessibility along Highway 25 from downtown Buffalo to John Ause Memorial Drive
- Add turn lanes at the Highway 55/Wright County Road 14 intersection, south of Buffalo
# # #