- Judy Jacobs
- Baxter Office
7694 Industrial Park Rd
Baxter, MN 56425
- St. Cloud Office
3725 12th Street North
St. Cloud, Mn 56303
|News Release Search|
|Search Statewide News|
Prep work for Garrison Concourse rehabilitation resumes May 31
BAXTER, Minn. —Prep work for the rehabilitation of the wall at the historic Garrison Concourse along Hwy 169 on Mille Lacs Lake resumes Tuesday, May 31.
Crews will begin temporary sheet piling installation and dewatering to allow restoration of the outer wall facing the lake in Stage 2 of the project.
Work requires the closure of the concourse to the public. Access to the rest area will be contained to the walleye statue and the grounds.
Stage 3 restoration work begins in August 2011. The wall will be reconstructed with similar pink and black granite that was used when it was constructed in 1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps.
The outer wall restoration work is scheduled to be completed by the end of November 2011.
In 2010, crews salvaged rock from the wall that had fallen into Mille Lacs Lake. They documented and stored the rock over the winter at the MnDOT facility in Garrison. The crew also placed temporary riprap to protect the outer wall.
The project is funded with a combination of state and federal funding, which includes money from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act that provided $1.2 million for the restoration efforts for the outer wall.
In May 2010, the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota listed the Garrison Concourse as one of the state’s 10 Most Endangered Historic Places. It also was designated one of the 10 Most Endangered Roadside Places by the Society for Commercial Archeology and shares that list with sites along Route 66.