Work begins August 20
Reconstruct seven miles of road surface (full-depth reclamation) and repair or replace culverts/pipes from west junction Highway 87 in Backus to Cass County Rd 40 in Hackensack. Project limits and culvert locations map, PDF
Prep work Aug. 20-31
Highway 371 to have periodic lane or shoulder closures with possible flaggers controlling traffic as crews prepare work areas and line culverts along the roadway.
Detour after Labor Day, Sept. 4, through mid-October
- Through traffic: Hwy 371 to close between Backus and Hackensack, plan for delays. Detour uses Hwy 87 west of Backus, Hwy 64 and Hubbard CR 19/Cass CR 40 to Hackensack. Hwy 371 will be maintained and open between the west and east junctions of Hwy 87 in Backus, but motorists will encounter periodic lane closures or flaggers. Through traffic detour map, PDF
- Local traffic: Access to be maintained and open, however Hwy 371 will be impassable at some locations to replace underground culverts. Please watch for changes, follow signs and use the closest alternate route. Project limits and culvert locations (A-F) map, PDF
- Hackensack to Backus is Open: Access to businesses and residences to be maintained, but expect changes or gravel surfaces when navigating through work areas.
- Today on Hwy 371: For current road conditions, check 511mn.org
Work wraps up by Oct. 28
Once the detour lifts, Highway 371 to have periodic lane or shoulder closures with possible flaggers controlling traffic as crews complete the project.
- Aug. 20 to Oct. 28, 2018
- $3.7 million
- New, smoother road surface and improved drainage
Kirk Allen, Construction Project Manager, 218-828-5739.