Construction Updates - Kennedy Bridge Project
Current traffic impact
The Highway 2 Kennedy Bridge will be closed for one week beginning at 11:00 p.m., on Tuesday, Sept. 11, and reopening to traffic by the end of the day on Tuesday, Sept. 18.
The bridge closure will allow crews to complete unforeseen additional work to the bridge deck, remove the painting containment from the north half of the truss, and move the temporary concrete barrier to allow traffic to move to the north half of the bridge.
During the closure, traffic will be detoured to Demers Avenue and South Washington Street. Motorists should plan ahead and expect delays on the Sorlie and Point Bridges, especially during peak travel times.
Upon completion of the bridge closure, there will be one lane of traffic in each direction on the north half of the bridge while crews begin painting the south half of the truss. The westbound ramp from River Road/Fourth Street will also be opened. The bridge is scheduled to be fully open to four lanes of traffic prior to winter.
Visit the photo gallery to view pictures of construction progress.
- Pier on west side of the Red River has been replaced
- Replacement of the entire bridge deck is complete including an 8’9” shared-use trail on the north side of the bridge
- Placement of a 10’ shared-use path connecting the bridge to the greenway trails on both sides of the Red River
- Structural repairs to the bridge
- Replacement of all curb, gutter and concrete pavement on Hwy 2 from the Fourth Street Bridge in East Grand Forks to approximately 200 feet west of the Kennedy Bridge in Grand Forks
- Blasting and painting the north half of the truss section of the bridge
- Blast and paint remaining structural steel on the bridge (through October)
- Install roadway and aesthetic lighting systems on the truss section of the bridge (August-October)
- Traffic will be switched to the westbound (northerly) lanes shortly after Labor Day but traffic will remain one lane in each direction for the entire 2018 construction season. The ramp from River Road/Fourth Street to Hwy 2 will be opened at this time.
- The bridge will be open to four lanes of traffic prior to the winter of 2018/2019
Work scheduled for 2019
- There may be some minor work required to complete the project in the spring of 2019 (deck grinding, pavement painting/striping, etc.), which may require short, temporary traffic restrictions. However, detours or long-term traffic restrictions in 2019.
- Short-term closure from September 11-18
- Long term- Single lane traffic
- Restrictions for oversized vehicles
- MnDOT will try to coordinate passage for agricultural equipment when possible. Those crossings can only take place from 4-6 a.m., and must be requested at least 24 hours in advance. Please contact Paul Konickson during regular business hours at 218-277-7963, firstname.lastname@example.org.