(April 10, 2018)
Visit the photo gallery to view pictures of construction progress.
Construction Updates - Kennedy Bridge Project Update
Winter may still be hanging on for 2018, but in a sure sign of spring crews have restarted work on this two-year project.
As weather allows the pavement markings will be repainted and the tube delineators will be reinstalled to separate the traffic lanes. The delineators were removed over the winter to allow MnDOT snowplows to safely and efficiently remove snow.
An additional lane closure is anticipated on Monday, April 16 to allow MnDOT bridge crews to conduct inspections and maintenance. Flaggers will control traffic by allowing only one direction of traffic at a time. Short delays can be expected by motorists.
Work completed in 2017
- Pier on west side of the Red River has been replaced
- Entire bridge deck has been removed
- Replaced south half of the bridge deck and the south bridge rail
- Structural repairs to the bridge
- Replacement of curb, gutter and concrete pavement on the eastbound lanes of Hwy 2 from the Fourth St. Bridge in East Grand Forks to approximately 200 feet west of the Kennedy Bridge in Grand Forks
- Began blasting and priming of the structural steel on the bridge approach spans
Work scheduled for 2018
- Placement of deck forms on north half of bridge deck (March-May)
- Additional structural repairs
- Placement of south half of bridge deck. This will be completed in three separate concrete pours, each with a three-day detour via Demers Ave. and Washington St. (May/June)
- Replace curb, gutter and concrete pavement on the westbound lanes of Hwy 2 on from the Fourth St. Bridge in East Grand Forks to approximately 200 feet west of the Kennedy Bridge in Grand Forks
- Placement of concrete shared use trail from bridge to the existing Greenway Trail
- Sandblast and paint all structural steel of the bridge (Summer/Fall 2018)
- Install roadway and aesthetic lighting systems (Fall 2018)
- Traffic will remain one lane in each direction for the entire 2018 construction season. The westbound Fourth St. on-ramp will remain closed until approximately August 2018. Then traffic will be switched to the eastbound lanes, and the Fourth St. off-ramp will be closed.
- The bridge will be open to 4 lanes of traffic prior to the winter of 2018/2019
Work scheduled for 2019
- There may be some minor work required to complete the project in the spring of 2019 (deck grinding, pavement painting/striping, etc.) Which may require short, temporary traffic restrictions. However there will not be any detours or long term traffic restrictions in 2019.
- Additional lane closure on Monday, April 16
- Short term- Occasional detours of up to three days duration
- Long term- Single lane traffic
- Restrictions for oversized vehicles
- MnDOT will try to coordinate passage for agricultural equipment when possible. Those crossings can only take place from 4-6 a.m., and must be requested at least 24 hours in advance. Please contact Paul Konickson during regular business hours at 218-277-7963, firstname.lastname@example.org.