(July 25, 2017)
Plan ahead, as the Kennedy Bridge will be closed this weekend to allow crews to pour concrete for the east deck approach span.
The closure will take place from 6:00 a.m. Friday, July 28 through 6:00 a.m. Monday, July 31.
Crews will pour the concrete on Friday, and then no work will take place on the deck while the concrete cures Saturday and Sunday.
During the closure, traffic will be detoured to Demers Avenue and South Washington Street. Motorists should plan ahead and expect delays on the Sorlie and Point Bridges, especially during peak travel times.
Visit the photo gallery to view pictures of construction progress.
- Completed grading east and west of the bridge.
- Removal of the concrete on the eastbound lanes.
- New pier 6 footings and south pier column concrete poured.
- Pin & Hanger assemblies replaced on south half of bridge.
- Pour east deck approach span (includes this weekend’s closure of Kennedy Bridge and detour).
- Transfer bridge from temporary pier to the new permanent pier (this will require an overnight closure in mid-August)
- Continue to form deck for westerly approach span and truss spans
- Curb & Gutter and Concrete pavement on eastbound lanes
- Detour- 6:00 a.m. Friday, July 28 through 6:00 a.m. Monday, July 31
- Short term- Occasional detours of up to three days duration
- Long term- Lane closures
- Restrictions for oversized vehicles
- MnDOT will try to coordinate passage for agricultural equipment when possible. Those crossings can only take place from 4-6 a.m., and must be requested at least 24 hours in advance. Please contact Paul Konickson during regular business hours at 218-277-7963, firstname.lastname@example.org.