Hwy 2 reopens in northwest Minnesota
BEMIDJI, Minn. — (9:30 a.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol has reopened Hwy 2 from Crookston to North Dakota.
Hwy 220 from Hwy 1 to Hwy 11 and Hwy 75 from Crookston to Shelly still remain closed.
Although driving conditions have improved, motorists should still use caution when traveling. Strong winds and temperatures below freezing may cause slippery conditions and icy patches.
MnDOT snowplow operators are doing their part to make highways safe and motorists should remember to:
- Check MnDOT’s road conditions map at www.511mn.org or call 511.
- Stay alert for snowplows, which turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They also may travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow. Don’t drive into a snow cloud.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions.
- Turn on your headlights and wear your seat belt.
- Turn off the cruise control.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Don’t drive distracted.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html.