Road closures expanded in northwest Minnesota
BEMIDJI, Minn. — (2:00 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol have closed additional highways in northwest Minnesota due to reduced visibility, blowing and drifting snow.
- Hwy 75 from Canada to South Norman county line by Perley
- Hwy 200 from North Dakota to Ada
- Hwy 220 from Climax to Highway 11
- Hwy 1 from North Dakota to Thief River Falls
- Hwy 11 from North Dakota to Karlstad or TH59
- Hwy 175 from North Dakota to TH59
- Hwy 171 from TH75 to North Dakota
Road closures are also still in place for Hwy 2 from Crookston to the North Dakota border and Hwy 75 from Crookston to Shelly.
Motorists should plan accordingly. When a road is closed it is illegal to travel in that area. Motorists can be fined up to $1,000 and/or sentenced to 90 days in jail. In addition, if travelers need to be rescued from a closed road, other expenses and penalties will apply.
For tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html.