Open house on Crookston slide project set for July 23
BEMIDJI, Minn. – MnDOT will hold an open house Wednesday, July 23 at Crookston City Hall to explain the Crookston slide project. Questions and comments from the public are encouraged.
The open house will be held at 5 p.m. at Crookston City Hall, 124 North Broadway.
This project focuses on stabilizing the slope between the Red Lake River and Highway 2 in Crookston from Groveland Avenue to Pine Street. The slope has been gradually sliding toward the Red Lake River. Stabilization of this slope is needed to protect the safety and integrity of Highway 2.
MnDOT is using an innovative design-build process on the project, which allows design work to be done concurrently with construction. This allows the project to be more flexible and save money.
The open house will include representatives from MnDOT and Nicholson Construction, the prime contractor on the project.
The construction schedule is as follows:
- Geotechnical investigation & installing instrumentation- June to July
- Preconstruction monitoring of the slope- July to August
- Minor prep work- June to July
- Construction including excavation and shear wall construction- August to October
- Landscaping and turf establishment- spring to summer of 2015
Details on this design-build project on Highway 2 in Crookston can be found at