No travel advised in western Marshall, southern Kittson counties
Highway 1 closed between Oslo and Warren
BEMIDJI, Minn. – (10:30 a.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation advises no travel in western Marshall and southern Kittson counties due to blowing snow and reduced visibility.
Officials have closed Highway 1 between Oslo and Warren.
Strong winds combined with the fresh snow are creating difficult driving conditions throughout northwest Minnesota.
MnDOT snow plow operators are doing their part to make highways safe. Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone.
For updated information on road conditions, visit www.511mn.org or call 511.