- Karen Bedeau
MnDOT District 2
3920 Highway 2 West
Bemidji, MN, 56601
Blowing snow creating difficult driving in northwest Minnesota
BEMIDJI, Minn.— The Minnesota Department of Transportation cautions motorists to continue to drive with care this weekend as new snowfall and strong winds in areas of the northwestern part of the state are creating difficult driving conditions.
Some area roads have icy patches and blowing snow is reducing visibility.
Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
- Turn on lights and turn off cruise control.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone.
For updated information on road conditions, visit www.511mn.org or call 511.