- Karen Bedeau
Minnesota Department of Transportation
District 2 Bemidji
3920 Hwy 2 West
Bemidji, MN, 56601
|News Release Search|
|Search Statewide News|
Blowing snow creates hazardous driving conditions
Bemidji, Minn.— The Minnesota Department of Transportation advises extreme caution when traveling in northwest Minnesota due to blowing snow and reduced visibility.
MnDOT snow plow operators are doing their part to make highways safe. Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud. Snowplow operators will pull over when it is safe to do so to allow traffic build-up to pass.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone.
For updated information on road conditions, call 511 or click on www.511mn.org.