Traffic backups expected
The Minnesota Department of Transportation expects heavy traffic levels on Interstate 35 and other routes leading to Duluth just prior to and after the Duluth Airshow which is scheduled June 3 and 4. The airshow is expected to be the biggest event in Duluth for 2017.
To avoid traffic delays, MnDOT encourages visitors to come early and stay late and consider taking alternate routes and use 511mn.org for the latest traver information.
- Motorists are restricted to a single lane on northbound Interstate 35 between Willow River and Sturgeon Lake, weekdays until May 26. Both northbound lanes will reopen on Fridays at 1 p.m.
- Southbound traffic is restricted to a single lane Mondays through Saturdays until May 26.
- Motorists may also encounter temporary shoulder closures for northbound and southbound I-35 until May 26.
- Traffic will be single lane in each direction beginning May 30 throught project completion.
Upcoming traffic impacts
- There will be week-long ramp closures at Willow River (CSAH 43) and Sturgeon Lake (CSAH 46), not at the same time, during construction. A two-week advance notice of the closure will be provided.
- The General Andrews Rest areas on SB I-35 will be closed for approximately 6 weeks.
Construction on the I-35 corridor between Duluth and the Twin Cites Metro Area
The map below shows I-35 construction north of Pine City. Click here for projects south of Pine City.