I-35 South of Duluth
Alternative Routes to Duluth
- Carlton County
May to Nov. 4,2012 and May to Oct. 2013
- May 2012 – Oct. 2013.
- For specific schedule information for each project, please check the links above.
- For specific cost information for each project, please check the links above.
All projects on I-35 are finished for 2012. All lanes are open.
Trip Planning Information
Plan ahead to avoid the heaviest travel times on I-35 or use an alternative route — especially during holiday or major event weekends.
Help reduce congestion by using the "Zipper Merge"
When a lane is closed in a construction zone, motorists should use both lanes of traffic until reaching the defined merge area and then alternate in "zipper" fashion into the open lane. Watch a brief video showing how the zipper merge works.
Zipper Merge benefits
- Reduces speed differences between lanes
- Reduces the length of traffic backups (by as much as 40 percent)
- Reduces congestion on freeway interchanges
- Creates a sense of fairness and equity when all lanes are moving at the same rate