Alternatives and Maps
MnDOT is recommending the E-2 route as the preferred alternative for the Hwy 53 Relocation project. This alternative is the northernmost route with a 1,100-foot bridge across the Rouchleau Pit. The project cost is estimated at $220 million.
- Alignment comparisons map (PDF)
- Alternative route cost, constructability, etc. comparisons chart (PDF)
- November 18 Presentation (PDF)
After lengthy study of several other alternatives, E-2 rated highest in constructablity and cost. Other alternatives had more difficult technical challenges or passed over land that could potentially be mined. The E-2 alternative offers the most workable challenges and has the lowest cost of all the alternatives.
- E-2 map
- E-2 northbound profile (PDF, 3 MB)
- E-2 north-south (PDF, 4 MB)
- E-2 bridge (PDF, 0.5 MB)
- E-2 bridge pier (PDF, 42 KB)
- Preliminary Quantity Breakdown (PDF, 1 MB)
Maps and information about the other alternatives is available by clicking the links below.
- E-1A map
- E-1A northbound profile (PDF, 370 KB)
- E-1A north (PDF, 2.44 MB)
- E-1A south (PDF, 3.58 MB)
- E-1A bridge PDF, 106 KB)
- E-1A full bridge PDF, 1 MB)
- E-1A Preliminary Quantity Breakdown (PDF, 12 KB)
- M-1 map
- M-1 (PDF, 4.89 MB)
- M1- northbound profile (PDF, 238 KB)
- M-1 bridge (PDF, 117 KB)
- M-1 Preliminary Foundations (PDF, 17.85 MB)
- M-1 Preliminary Quantity Breakdown (PDF, 10 KB)
- Existing Hwy 53 alternative (buy-out or modification of the existing roadway)
- No build (closure of the easement segment)
- Existing Hwy 53 alternative
- All alternatives
For each of the alternatives, there are numerous variations that can be studied. These variations include minor alignment shifts, intersection modifications and improvements such as new traffic-control signal systems. The cost to purchase right of way and construct any of the current layout alternatives is unknown at this time. As estimates become available they will be published. The project budget is $90 million.