Hwy 33 Pavement Replacement, Intersection Improvements
- On Hwy 33 in Cloquet from I-35 to the Big Lake Road intersection
- May to October 2014
- Currently there are no traffic impacts.
- Single-lane traffic in each direction from May to October 2014.
Proposed project layout
- The in-place pavement on Hwy 33 will be removed. The road surface will then be repaved with concrete. The new, smoother road surface should last for many years.
- The reconstructed intersection at Big Lake Road/Doddridge Avenue will include a through-lane, new right- and left-turn lanes for eastbound and westbound traffic and pedestrian signals. These improvements will improve traffic flow through the intersection.
- Safety improvements are proposed at the Armory Road intersection. A new turn-lane will be constructed from northbound Hwy 33 to the Super One grocery store area. Southbound Hwy 33 traffic will use the existing crossover to turn into the L&M Fleet Supply area. Traffic exiting the Super One grocery store area will access northbound Hwy 33 via the Big Lake Road/Doddridge Avenue signalized intersection or by making a U-turn at Washington Avenue.
- Right turn-lanes will be added to the frontage road on northbound Hwy 33 in front of the Department of Natural Resources Building and on southbound Hwy 33 at the southerly Gillette Road/Hwy 33 road connection.