Current lane closures
- On August 20/21 traffic was switched to the newly-constructed northbound lanes and construction began on the southbound lanes. The intersections at the DNR and Washington Avenue reopened.
- Motorists are restricted to a single lane in each direction between I-35 and the Doddridge Avenue/Big Lake Road intersection.
- The ramp to northbound I-35 from Hwy 33 is closed. Southbound Hwy 33 traffic wishing to go north on I-35 is being detoured to the Scanlon ramp via Cloquet Avenue.
- The southbound I-35 ramp to northbound Hwy 33 (Exit 237) is closed. Traffic is being detoured using Exit 239 to County Road 45 to Cloquet Avenue and back to Hwy 33.
- The frontage road on the south end of the project is closed to Hwy 33 access. No access to the frontage road is available from Hwy 33. Access is open to southbound I-35 only.
- Doddridge Avenue and Big Lake Road are reduced to a single lane as work continues on the intersection reconstruction. The frontage road entrances are closed on both the east and west sides of Hwy 33 at Doddridge Avenue and Big Lake Road.
- Motorists should expect single lane traffic on this project until it is completed in October.
- Motorists should expect traffic delays especially on Fridays, Sundays and holiday weekends.
Businesses are all open and accessible during this construction project. Motorists are advised to use alternate routes to access local businesses and follow the posted signs which will direct traffic to access points for the businesses.
- Alternate routes for west side businesses include: Carlton Avenue and Armory Drive
- Alternate routes for east side businesses include: Washington Avenue and Stanley Avenue
The public is invited to attend weekly update meetings to learn more about the status of the Hwy 33 project. Meetings are held Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m., at the Cloquet City Hall, city council chambers, 1307 Cloquet Avenue, Cloquet MN 55720-1657.
Minnesota Department of Transportation project staff, city of Cloquet staff and representatives from the project contractor, Ulland Brothers Inc. give a short presentation about the weeks planned construction activities. They also provide details about access restrictions and changes related to traffic control that may occur during the week. Each meeting will allow time for citizens to ask questions and speak to project staff about the project.